Introduction to Screenings on Rentler
Rentler offers landlords like you a smarter way to screen potential tenants.
Other background check providers often try to upsell independent landlords on various data packages, making it difficult for them to decide what they actually need, and how to act on their results. At Rentler, we believe the tenant screening process should be clear and simple.
That’s why our Rentability screening solution gives landlords like you quick online credit and background checks—without the hassle of on-site inspections or lengthy enrollment processes. And because your potential renters’ Social Security numbers remain private, your rental applicants get peace of mind, knowing the process is secure.
It takes only a few simple steps. First, create a landlord account with Rentler. From there you can choose to create a new listing (and automatically screen tenants) or you can click on Screenings from the left-hand navigation rail and manually send a screening request to potential renters. Once the rental applicants get the request, they set up their own renter account, consent to the screening, and authenticate their identity. Rentler then screens the applicants and within minutes, provides you with:
- A credit report
- A criminal report that draws from millions of criminal records
- SSN verification
- National Eviction search
- National sex offender registry search
How does Rentler’s screening process work?
The process generally goes as follows:
- The landlord initiates a Renter screening request by sending the renter an invite to apply or turning on automatic screening request when a tenant applies to a property through Rentler.
- The prospective tenant chooses to accept or decline the screening. (If the applicant is new to Rentler, he or she must create an account to move forward)
- By accepting the request, the applicant initiates the release of his or her credit and criminal record information to the landlord through Rentler. By declining, he or she cancels the rental application. Either way, no personal identifying information such as a Social Security number is released to the landlord.
- If the applicant accepts the request, the landlord receives credit and criminal history information to assist them in making a decision on whether to accept or decline the applicant.
- The applicant is notified of the landlord’s decision.
How long does the entire tenant screening process take?
Rentler provides instant results after the renter has confirmed their application and passed identity authentication online. The only delays are due to either party not completing one or more steps throughout the process.
How does Rentler provide me with the same screening solutions that larger management firms use at a lower cost?
Rentler is online, whereas larger property management firms have custom-built solutions that they host and maintain. We access the same credit data and screening tools, but it's online so you don't have the cost of hosting and upkeep.
Will I still get all the information I need to make the best decision for my property?
Yes. Rentler combines the powerful data and analytics of multiple data sources to provide you with a quick and reliable tenant screening service. You get all the information you need to make informed screening decisions in less time. And Rentler enables you to screen effectively without compromising the privacy or security of the applicant's personal identifying information.